On February 26, I was honored to be the guest of State Senator Kevin Thomas at his offices in the State Capitol in Albany, New York. Accompanying me were Deputy Grand Master Glenn Keenan, Grand Warden Pete Brawley, Grand Secretary Tom Buchanan, Department Commander Richard Kellar, Lady Alice Legg, Noble Grand Carolyn Newkirk, Past District Deputy Grand Master Jack Toledano, Right Supporter to the Vice Grand  Jeff Nogid, Grand Master of New Jersey Manuel Sosa, and  Junior Past Grand Master of New Jersey Raul Rodgriguez.

Our day began by meeting in a hospitality room attended by Senator Thomas’ staff Donna Nogid and Josie Huba. They made a large poster with the Senators’ picture and our name to commemorate the event. We were treated to a delicious luncheon and had some time to decompress after our respective travels to the site and of course we all got to catch up with one another.

After that, Senator Thomas came in and spent some time with us. He has attended Odd Fellows events on Long Island a few times so most of his had met him before. He was a true gentleman and a very friendly host. He presented me with a framed copy of a State of New York Legislative Resolution. It was quite the impressive document in that it listed facts about our history as an Order in addition to information regarding our mission statement, motto, worldview, and participation in community events. In turn I presented him with a copy of Brother Louie Blake Sarmiento’s Odd Fellows book which he published last year and Brother Tom also presented him with an Odd Fellows pen. We all had our cell phones out to snap pictures and the staff photographer was there to document the occasion. 

Later we were treated to a tour of the New York State Capitol building. To say that it was impressive would be an understatement. I was immediately smitten with the history and architecture of the edifice. We started in the Hall of Governors in which framed oil paintings of every governor in the history of the Empire State hung majestically. Of course, I was most pleased to view that of Brother Franklin Delano Roosevelt. Subsequently we were given a tour of the senate chambers. It was not in session at the time so we were able to really soak in all of the impressive structure.

The highlight of the day came soon after that. When the upper chamber later began its session, six of us were allowed to sit on the Senate floor at the right side of the speaker! The resolution celebrating the history, culture, and contributions of Odd Fellows over the last two centuries was read aloud and we received a standing ovation and nods of approval from all of the state senators. It was at this point that I welled up with awe and gratitude. I am a proud New Yorker and even prouder Odd Fellow and for our beloved Order to be recognized like this was as emotional moment as I have had. For me to be fortunate enough to be Grand Master at the time that our elected officials chose to recognize the IOOF bicentennial is tremendously meaningful and I will take the memories of this day with me for the rest of my time on earth. 

Of course I gave a recount of the events to my home lodge (Rockville Centre #279) and my associate lodge (Mineola-Pacific #125) under “Good of the Order” but I believe that this day was significant enough to share on a larger level, too. My most sincere hope for all of my brothers and sisters is that they may have a tremendous experience like this at some point in their Odd Fellows life. Because after all, even though we do not strive for recognition, the fact of the matter is that we deserve it and it can only help to further our important message to a wider audience.

Faithfully submitted in Friendship, Love, and Truth,

Michael Zurell

Grand Master

IOOF Grand Lodge of New York